Congenital Diaphragmatic Hernia
I know that I don’t always post a lot of serious things, but I’m going to post one now. March is Congenital Diaphragmatic Hernia Awareness Month in many states across the US. In some states, they have made March 31st CDH Awareness Day. Now, I know you might be asking, “What the heck is CDH?” and “Why should I care?” Well…I’ll tell you.
Congenital Diaphragmatic Hernia is a birth defect that affects about 1 out of 2,500 children a year. The total ends up being around 1,600 children a year. Only half will live to see their first birthday. Some may not even last the night that they’re born.
Basically, the condition happens because a child is born with a hole or an opening in their diaphragm. Intestines and other organs go through the opening and enter the chest cavity. It can affect one lung at a time or the organs could push on both lungs. Every case is different. Some children have different organs that go into their chest cavity, some have genetic defects as well as CDH, some have heart conditions, etc.
Yes, kids do and have survived CDH. Some of them have later complications such as acid reflux, bowel obstructions from the scar tissue, hearing issues (usually only if they were put on ECMO), or most commonly, asthma.
Why am I telling you all of this? Because ladies and gents, I am a survivor of this. I believe that people should at least be aware of this condition. Know that it happens and what it is. There’s no known cause for it, so it can happen to anyone.
Now, I’m not telling you “omg here’s this birth defect, shell out some money to this organization to help find a cure.” Because frankly, I’m not too sure about the two organizations that I’ve found that help out with this stuff. Strides are being made to find the condition before birth, sometimes even fix it. But no matter what, kids are going to be born with this. And they can have a chance of surviving. If anything, I’d recommend donating money to your local children’s hospital. They do some absolutely amazing work for all children. (Heck, our local children’s hospital saved my life twice and is helping me kick my asthma’s ass. (They were the ones that discovered it too.))
I might be doing this with my floor on April 5th. We walk one mile barefoot. Apparently every mile walked raises funds to support one of five causes and $1 is donated for each walker. My RA might be ordering some tshirts too (and well…I love tshirts.)
I wish the term 'Coming Out' didn't exist. I wish people could just bring home a same-gendered significant other, identify as whatever gender they want, be what gender they want, and be who they want to be without worry that the people closest to them will judge them.
There are times when I wish I wouldn’t sit here…doing nothing, or seemingly nothing. Wasting my time on things that may or may not matter. Reading about the lives other people are living. Experiencing through pictures and words, but never truly understanding. Why do I sit here when I was born to soar? My wings may be ruffled over the years of wear and tear, the struggles they have faced, but they still have enough strength to get me where I need to go. Why do I sit here and do nothing, when I was born to live?
1. whatever you do, don’t just show up at their house…they run around in their underwear just like we do.
2. don’t cheat on them. it may seem foolproof, but girls tell each other everything about everything. trust me, they will find out and you will be mud.
3. beware of every single male relative and all guy friends. any of them would kick your ass at the drop of a hat, and a lot of them wouldn’t even wait for the damn hat.
4. never miss an opportunity to tell them they’re beautiful.
5. don’t refuse to kiss in front of your friends. if they laugh at you, it’s because they’re jealous.
6. if they slap you hard, you deserved it.
7. don’t be afraid to touch them if you want to. if they’re going out with you in the first place, it’s because they like being in your arms.
8. if you don’t sleep with them, do not tell your friends that you did. 8.5 if you do sleep with them, don’t tell your friends that you did.
9. you can be dirty minded in private, really…most of them are not offended by it…
10. not all of them eat like birds, a lot of them can eat like whales.
11. most of them don’t mind paying half of everything, but they do discuss these things with their friends. realize that if you make your girlfriend pay half all the time, everyone will know about it and your friends will know you’re a pussy..do you honestly need all your money that much? be a man, pay all the time!
12. every girl should eventually get three things from her boyfriend- a stuffed animal, one of his sweatshirts, and a really pretty ring. even if it’s not a serious relationship.
13. make sure she gets home safely as often as you can. if you’re dropping her off, walk her to the door. if you aren’t dropping her off, call to be sure she’s home safely.
14. if a guy is bothering her, it is your right to beat the shit out of him.
15. if you’re talking to a female friend of yours, pull your girlfriend closer.
16. never, ever slap her, even if it’s just in a joking way. even if she swats you first, and says, “oh, you’re so dumb” or something, never make any gestures back.
17. go to a chick flick once in a while. she doesn’t care whether you enjoy it or not, it just matters that you went.
18. you’re dead meat if you can’t get along with their pets, parents, and best friends. be prince charming to their friends, mr. polite to their parents, and make sure to be nice to their animals.
19. don’t flirt with their moms…that’s just freaky.
20. don’t be freaked out by pms. it’s not gross, and it really does make them feel like shit, so be understanding.
21. if you don’t like the way they drive, you do it.
22. if you’re officially dating, and you’re introducing her to your friends, you’d better damn well introduce her as your girlfriend.
23. don’t stress where you go for every date. they really only want to be with you.
24. if they complain that something hurts, rub it for them without being asked.
25. girls are fragile. even if you’re play fighting/wrestling, be very gentle.
26. memorize their god damn birthdays. you forget her birthday and you’re basically screwed for life.
27. don’t marinade the cologne, but smell good.
28. don’t give her something stupid for her birthday or christmas or valentine’s day. it doesn’t have to be expensive, but it has to be meaningful. jewelry is always nice.
29. if you think the relationship isn’t going to last, don’t wait to find out. it will only hurt you more if you draw it out.
30. after you’ve been dating for a while, realize that they really have started to trust you. when you have a girlfriend who truly trusts you, you have a lot more responsibility, privilege and control than you would think. be careful with it, most guys would kill for that kind of power, and it can be lost in a nanosecond.
This is so wellwritten, i love the person who wrote this :)